On February 12th, 2021, the Portuguese Government made important changes in the ARI scheme (popularly known as Portugal Golden Visa) as expressed in the Decree-Law 14/2021. Here are the main Portugal Golden Visa regulation changes.
All regulation changes will be effective from January 1st, 2022:
2021 Portugal Golden Visa Regulation Changes in Real Estate Investments – effective by 2022
1) Residential real estate investments in Lisbon, Oporto and some coastal areas will be excluded as eligible for Golden Visa purposes (the red zone*).
2) Residential real estate investment in other areas in Continental Portugal as well as in Madeira and Azores will continue to be eligible for Golden Visa purposes (the dark and light green areas, with investment threshold as current)。
3) Non-residential real estate investment will continue as current without changes. In other words, all Portugal including the red zone, with investment threshold as current – that is the dark and light green areas .
*The red zone is only a general indication. For more details please contact us.
2021 Portugal Golden Visa Regulation Changes in Fund Investments – effective by 2022
4) The transfer of capital from abroad to Portugal for investing in mutual funds or venture capital funds with a minimum maturity of 5 years and a minimum of 60% invested in Portuguese companies – the minimum threshold will increase from 350k to 500k Euros.
Other Changes – effective by 2022
5) The transfer of capital from abroad to Portugal for financial purposes (e.g. bank deposit, purchase of shares…) – the minimum threshold will increase from 1 million to 1.5 million Euros.
6) The transfer of capital from abroad to Portugal for funding science R&D related projects – the minimum threshold will increase from 350k to 500k Euros.
7) The transfer of capital from abroad to Portugal for creating a company that creates a minimum of 5 jobs or to increase capital in a existing company with the creation or maintenance of a minimum 5 jobs for at least 3 years – the minimum threshold will increase from 350k to 500k Euros.
As you can see, the previous eligibility criteria will continue until end of 2021, and from 2022 onwards, most of the current avenues will continue to be available, except residential real estate investments in a significant part of Continental Portugal.
Here is the complete summary of the Portuguese Golden Visa information – eligibility, requirements, application procedures and timeline.
For those initially approved visa, renewal of visa is permitted.
We are fully available to clarify any further questions you might have on this matter.
We will keep on providing you the latest updates on any changes on the regulations and provide a wide choice of investment options that are eligible for Golden Visa.
Link to the decree law:https://dre.pt/home/-/dre/157236756/details/maximized?res=pt
- The Best Plan B in the World!!
- 20 Reasons why Portugal is the most ideal choice for a second passport?
- Portugal Golden Visa Funds versus Property: A Complete Cost Comparison
- 5 Reasons an Immigration Consultant Can Help You and How to Choose a Good One
- The Ultimate Guide on Portugal’s Healthcare System
- New Updates on Portugal Golden Visa Regulation Changes 2021