Portugal Golden Visa
Portuguese Golden Visa program is Europe’s most successful investment immigration programme targeted at non-EU citizens to obtain EU residency or citizenship.
One of the advantages of the program is the short stay requirement – applicants are not mandated to live in Portugal. The minimum stay requirement is 14 days, consecutive or nonconsecutive, for each 2-year period.
The Benefits of Portugal Golden Visa
Minimal Stay Requirement
14 days, consecutive or nonconsecutive, for each 2-year period.
Able to include your spouse, children, parents under the same application.
Able to live and work in all 27 countries of the EU with Portugal citizenship.
Visa Free Travel
Can travel to more than 180 countries without a travel visa.
Low investment thresholds
The lowest threshold is 280,000€ for property and and 350,000€ for funds.
Access to free public services such as healthcare and education.
What is Portugal Golden Visa and its requirements?
- Make an eligible investment in Portugal under the Portugal Golden Visa program, with funds from outside of Portugal
- Stay in Portugal for a minimum of 14 days, consecutive or nonconsecutive, for each 2-year period.
- No age requirement
- No eduction requirement
- No work skills requirement
- No income requirement
Who are eligible to apply under the same application (main investor)?
- Children under the age of 18
- Children under the age of 25 and enrolled as full-time student
- Children over 18 that are dependent, enrolled as student and unmarried
- Dependent parents of the applicant or spouse
- Siblings under the age of 18 in the custody of the applicant or spouse
Portuguese Golden Visa – A Snapshot from 2012 – 2021
Over 9600 main applications approved with over 16000 family members.
Over 90% of the applications chose the Property investment route, of those, ~90% chose the 500K option, while ~10% chose the 350K option.
Following is the capital transfer option, with 488 cases, and then investment fund options with 73 cases.
Creation of job position has 17 cases and then capital injection into companies.
The Golden Visa Portugal is ideal for you if you:
May not be able to live in Portugal in the near future but would like to kick start the process of getting a EU residency or citizenship as soon as possible, or
Want to have the peace of mind that your immigration process wouldn’t be interrupted if any unforeseeable events may hinder your ability to stay in Portugal
Investments qualified for Portugal Golden Visa 2021/ 2022
The two most popular investment routes of Portugal Golden Visa are property investment and fund investment. Please note that some Golden Visa Portugal regulation changes were announced in early 2021. The new rules of Golden Visa Portugal will come into effect on January 1st, 2022. The major changes are already reflected in the summary below.
500,000+ euros (reduced to 400,000 euros for ‘low density area*).
350,000 euros including refurbishing fee (reduced to 280,000 euros for ‘low density area*) for building dating back more than 30 years or located in urban regeneration areas that are in needs of refurbishment.
Eligible areas from now until end of 2021 (see map)*:
- all Portugal including the red zone, with investment threshold amount according to the map below
Eligible areas from January 1st, 2022 onwards (see map)*:
For non-residential property
- all Portugal including the red zone, with investment threshold amount according to the map below
For residential property
- Lisbon, Porto, and most coastal areas will no longer be eligible (the red zone*)
- Other continental areas, as well as Azores and Madeira will continue to be eligible (with investment threshold amount according to the map)
*Red/ Green zones
Red zone – residential property will no longer be eligible for Golden Visa starting from January 1, 2022
Dark green zone – identified as high density areas, mainly coastal areas in the north including Madeira and Azores islands.
Light green zone – identified as low density areas, having less than 100 inhabitants per square km or a per capita GDP of less than 75% of the national average.
*The red/ green zones are a general indication, there are a few exceptions.
For more details please contact us.
Capital transfer of 350,000 euros or higher to invest in venture capital fund , dedicated to the capitalisation of companies, whose maturity, at the moment of the investment, is at least, of five years and, at least, 60% of the investment is realized in commercial companies with head office in national territory (investment threshold will increase to 500,000 euros by January 1, 2022).
For more info on fund investment, please check out the 7 advantages of fund investment for Portugal Golden Visa and the cost comparison of fund and property investment for Golden Visa Portugal.
Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 1,000,000 euros (will increase to 1,500,000 euros by January 1, 2022).
Invest in Companies
Capital transfer of the amount of 350,000 euros, or higher, for constitution of a commercial society with head office in the national territory, combined with the creation of five permanent working jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of a commercial society with head office in national territory, already existing, with the creation or keeping of working jobs, with a minimum of five permanent jobs, and for a minimum period of three years (will increase to 500,000 euros by January 1, 2022).
Invest in Research Activities
Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 350,000 euros for investing in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions involved in the national scientific or technologic system (will increase to 500,000 euros by January 1, 2022).
Invest in Arts and Heritage
Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 250,000 euros for investing in artistic output or supporting the arts, for reconstruction or refurbishment of the national heritage, through the local and central authorities, public institutions, public corporate sector, public foundations, private foundations of public interest, networked local authorities, local corporate sector organizations, local associations and public cultural associations, pursuing activities of artistic output, and reconstruction or maintenance of the national heritage.
Portugal’s Golden Visa Application Procedures
After you have decided that Portugal’s Golden Visa is your ideal choice, you might want to get more information on the investment options, and to start preparing for the application. Below is an outline of the procedures for applying for the Golden Visa, step-by-step, to give you an idea of the process. We understand there are major decisions to be made here, and dealing in Portuguese may make things more complicated, trust us that The Golden Portugal team is here to help you along the way.
- Initial consultation
Get an initial consultation of your specific case and the investment options that suit your needs
- Investment options
We will source and recommend the appropriate investment options based on your requirements
- NIF & bank account (~2 weeks remotely)
We will apply a taxpayer ID number (NIF) for you and your family, and introduce you to a bank manager for account opening.
- Make the investment
You will transfer the fund to your Portuguese bank account and make the investment. The investment procedures will differ depending on the investment options you choose.
- Personal documents. You will need to gather all necessary documents for the SEF submission. We will guide you on along the way and work with the appropriate parties to get the necessary documents (eg. bank manger, fund manager, etc)
- Online application submission. The lawyer will submit your application with the documents online to Foreigners and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras “SEF”). You will need to pay the visa processing fee at this moment.
- Biometrics. After initial approval from the SEF, an appointment will be arranged with SEF to collect your biometrics info (finger prints, photo). You will need to submit the original documents of the application.
- Approval and residence cards. Once the application is approved, you will need to pay the issuance fee for Golden Visa to the government. We will collect your residence cards on your behalf and send them to you. Your 5 years of Golden Visa residency counts from the date shown on your initial card.
Portugal’s Golden Visa Application Timeline
The preparation for the submission of the first application typically takes around 3 months from step 1 to 6 (online application submission), and varies depending on investment types and options.
1st Application submission -> approximately 3 months for approval + 2 months for the issue of the residence card
Renewal needs to be done 30 – 90 days before the expiry of the current residence card.
Documents requirements for Portugal Golden Visa
Documents to be obtained in your country of origin
- Valid passport and, if applicable, a valid Schengen visa, for each applicant.
- Criminal record certificate for each applicant who is over 16 years old, issued by the country in which the applicant has most recently resided for a minimum of a year.
- Proof of residence, such as a copy of the driving licence, a recent utility bill or of a recent bank statement for the main applicant.
- Proof of professional occupation of the main applicant, such as a letter issued by the employer.
- Documentary evidence of the eligibility of family member applicants, e.g. a marriage certificate for the spouse, birth certificates for the children (plus marital status certificate and proof of enrolment as students if over 18 years old) and birth certificates for the applicants having dependent parents (plus certificates of no income for the latter if under 65).
*Most documents need to be apostilled or legalized in the nearest Portuguese consulate or by the apostille of the Hague convention.
*Documents not in Portuguese need to have be translated and certified by a Portuguese consulate-accredited translator or by a Portuguese lawyer.
Documents to be obtained in Portugal
- Applicant’s permission for the authorities to access his/her Portuguese criminal record.
- A Portuguese tax identification number (note that you must appoint a local tax representative in order to obtain it).
- Certificate of no debts from the Portuguese tax and national insurance offices.
- Signed statement by the applicant that he/she will fulfil the investment requirements.
- Evidence that the minimum investment has been made (this consists of a certificate issued by the appropriate registry office and, where applicable, a letter from a local bank confirming the transfer of the required funds).
- Receipt of payment of the application fee